Friday, July 18, 2014

T.V. Sports in Europe

In the two weeks I have been in Belgium, I've been able to view three of the top European sporting events; The World Cup, The Tour and The Open. Notice that none of the specific sports are mentioned, but everyone knows what they are speaking about. 
The World Cup. This is THE sport in Europe. They call it futball. We Americans see it as a 2nd rate sport of soccer. Even my American English spell checker wanted to correct futball to fur ball. Go figure. 
We watched an exciting Cup primarily on Belgium TV stations. I can't comment on the outcome, but I wasn't rooting for Germany. The announcers probably did a good job. I couldn't understand them, but that was due to my poor language skills. I can't understand the Brits either. I do like the fact that they don't stop the game action for a commercial every three minutes like we do in the States. 
The Tour, The Tour de France, is going on as I write. Everyone rides a bike in Europe so they can understand the sport. Ever since I gave up the third wheel I haven't been that interested in bicycling. Bontrager's Jasper Stuyven is the new star of Belgium cyclists. Cycling stars are even bigger than the Red Devils of futball fame. I'll take the butcher in the market's word for it. His steaks have been  sooo good. 
That brings us to The Open. Americans call it the British Open to distinguish it from the US Golf Open, the Scotish Open or the Illinois Open. As far as the Brits see it, there is only one Open. This event must be viewed on BBC. Luckily I know golf since I can't understand the Brit announcers. 
Oh well. The Bears report to camp in 6 days. You won't see anything about it on Belgium TV. 
Anyway, this has been all in fun. I'm actually enjoying Euro sports. 
Sports


No comments:

Post a Comment